Thursday, December 4, 2014

Blast from the Past (Not Really): Burnout Paradise


     Hey guys! Well, as part of the changes I’m making to the site (actually just the content; don’t expect the site to look different or anything), I’m going to start writing about games. But looking at the most recent slew of games (Far Cry 4, then new Call of Duty), I found there isn’t much to write about there. So I looked back into my old game files hidden somewhere in these hard drives. And apparently, I managed to find a good number of old games I thought were interesting to write enough about. This first one is Burnout Paradise.

     Before I played Burnout Paradise earlier today, I haven’t played any Burnout game in years. (Well, technically, it’s only been about three years, but still.) And back then, I was pretty much addicted to the games. I had played all of the games from Burnout 3 all the way to Paradise, which seems to be the last one I’ve heard from Burnout lately (I haven’t caught up with them since). So, when I found the game in my hard drive, I had this wave of nostalgia over me. I had to play it.

     It took only a few minutes for me to install and fire it up, and, well, I was thrust back into the time I played it years ago. I had no trouble playing the game again – the controls, the speed (which definitely kicks up the adrenaline better than, say, Need for Speed: Carbon), and the mechanics were all familiar to me. If you haven’t played any of the Burnout games (which, if you’re a racing game fan, is really unlikely), then let me break it down for you.

     Burnout involves you racing cars, but at insane speeds on city streets, mountain roads, and whatnot. Oh yeah, you also get to crash them into the walls for takedowns and boost (a key component no Burnout game doesn’t have). You complete events which let you get medals which allow you to unlock more cars, rinse and repeat. Burnout Paradise adds to this by placing every event in an open world (specifically, in Paradise City), allowing you to complete events at your own leisure. So when you’re not crashing cars into other cars and jumping off cliffs (yes, you can do that in Paradise City), you can drive around in any of your cars and explore the world. If you're bored of driving cars, you could also try out bikes -- an inprecedented addition to the Burnout series with events that focus on you getting the perfect lap times. For a game made in 2008, it looks pretty darn amazing, from the scenery to the cars to the beautifully animated wrecks. Graphically, it reminds me a lot of The Sims 3, which was released a year later.

     So, the question is – is it worth getting even after all these years? Well, it’s priced at about 12 bucks on Steam at the time of this writing, so I would say definitely. If you’ve played the Burnout games before, and prefer the mindless, physics-defying adrenaline rush over more realistic games, then I say get it.